A couple of years ago I was in desperate need of new music. My friend Maeglin introduced me to Kamelot by sending an MP3 of ‘The March of Mephisto’. Within two minutes I was text messaging him to send me more, and more. I fell for this band like a thirsty brick in a crystal clear pool.
Kamelot is an American symphonic power metal band from Tampa, Florida, formed in 1991. Six years later Norwegian vocalist Roy Khan – who studied opera for three years – joined the band. Khan co-writes all of Kamelot’s songs with the band’s guitarist and founder Thomas Youngblood.
- Roy Khan: Lead vocals (1998−present)
- Thomas Youngblood: Guitars, Backing vocals (1991−present)
- Sean Tibbetts: Bass guitar (1991−92, 2009−present)
- Casey Grillo: Drums (1997−present)
- Oliver Palotai: Keyboards (2005−present)
Where BLØF was gentle last week, Kamelot is strong, intimidating, grunchy, ominous and haunting. But Kamelot also means superb melodies, a strong drive and fantastic rhythm changes.
Listen and watch with me if you dare…